Friday, April 8, 2016

The life of a stay-at-home mom is never dull. Lil Miss here has her own learning computer games, homeschooling, and playtime. But what happens when I need to get some work done and she wants to play?

She'll get most of my day and then want more. I love her, gods know I do, but sometimes I'd like to be able to have a few moments to myself.


When I need to get some work done, we have what can be called proximal bonding. This is something I used to do with my daddy. 

When he was always on the computer and I wanted to hang out with him, we'd watch a movie together. Actually, I would watch a movie that he liked, and I ultimately liked, while he was on the computer playing World of Warcraft, or working on a program, or doing some other computer related thing. We didn't talk. We didn't interact except to talk about the movie when I needed some clarification or some such other detail. But we were together. Daddy was there. To a kid who didn't get any affection from her adoptive parents and felt threatened by her new step-family, this little time alone with Daddy was treasured. 

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't imagine my life without my step-family, or my adoptive father and brother, I love them all so much. But I've already lost my biological mother. I needed my daddy, especially in my teen years. 

That proximal bonding was enough for me at that time. So now, when Lil Miss wants my attention 24/7 I can make her feel like she's getting my attention while still getting my own work done. 

Lil Miss plays with her toys within five feet of my desk and we can interact with each other while still doing what I need to do. Multitasking has become a much needed skill. 


I know there are alot of parents out there, so how do you deal with kids wanting your attention all the time? 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

What me to address a certain topic? Have an opinion? Share it! I want to know what you have to say.